Hearty chicken and lentil soup
Food group servings per portion:
Lean meat/alternatives: 1 ½
Grains: 1 ½
2 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
½ large red chilli, deseeded, finely diced
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 brown onion, diced
400g chicken breast fillets, diced
2 celery sticks, diced
3 carrots, diced
1 small sweet potato, diced
1L chicken stock, salt reduced
400g can crushed tomatoes
400g can brown lentils, rinsed
1 zucchini diced
1 bunch parsley, roughly chopped
4 slices of sourdough bread, to serve
1. Heat the extra virgin olive oil in a large heavy based pan
2. Add chilli, garlic and onion and cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring often.
3. Add the chicken and cook for a further 3-4 minutes stirring often, until the chicken is lightly browned.
4. Add celery, carrot, sweet potato, stock and crushed tomatoes. Stir well. Bring to the boil for 3 minutes.
5. Reduce to a simmer and cook for about 15 minutes, until the carrot and sweet potato are tender.
6. Add the lentils and zucchini and cook for a further 5 minutes
7. Top with fresh parsley and divide among 4 bowls, serve hot with crusty sourdough bread
Tip: Store in the Microsafe® Soup Mug for a convenient on-the-go lunch. To enjoy later simply pop open the lid steam release vent and microwave reheat.